Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tipping

Having worked in the service industry before, I completely understand and respect the practice of tipping.  But service providers need to get back to the original concept of "To Insure Prompt Service" rather than to consider it an obligation on the part of the tippers. 

The other night, some friends and I were out for Chris' birthday dinner.  We split the bill, with two of paying by credit card and two of us paying cash.  We always make it easy on our servers, providing amounts to be charged on post-it notes and this evening was no different.  The annoyance (is that a word?  It is now.) came when no change was provided to the cash givers, both of whom had given more (one considerably) than the amount due per the attached post-it notes.

Okay, really?  What made her think the extras were a tip, especially when the amount to be paid was clearly writen on the top of each pile?  She didn't ask, no one said "keep the change" and it was just weird - and she didn't come back for us to ask about the change.  Unfortunately for her, then, she received way less than she would have if she had done the right thing and brought change back.

The other thing that gets my goat and always, always either results in a smaller tip or, if otherwise the service was great, a short coaching of sorts, is when the server asks "do you need any change back?"  My coaching opportunity is always to say, instead, "I'll be right back with your change" and the customer will either say "thank you", meaning they expect it back, that they left more than what the tip would be, or "no, thanks, the rest is yours."

Tipping, in general, has become an American obligation and many servers (certainly not all, don't get me wrong) don't feel the need to go above and beyond, much less perform the minimum well.  It used to be that I, as a former server, would over-tip simply because the IRS took it out (that's a whole other issue) - but lately, it seems as if more and more just don't care.  I find that odd, especially in this economy where dozens are waiting to step in.

Rant over.  Make it a stellar day!

4 comments:

  1. I always tip my barista's a dollar. I always go to the same place and they always do a great job. Coffe shops in general are a thankless environment at times and I like to show them they are appreciated.
    I've had the resturant tipping thing like you had before so I no longer pay in cash, I want the choice of tip amount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was an ad at the airport in Sydney for a currency exchange service. The picture was a line of waiters, cab drivers, doormen, baristas etc... with their hands out. The caption read "you'll be in America soon and everyone will expect a tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My other rant on the subject, then I'll move on, is when "suggested gratuity" signs are posted. Really??

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh awesome! I was at, of all places, The Old Spaghetti Factory today and we paid with cash. We were sitting there chatting before we left and the waiter came by, saw the cash and said "I'll be right back." He got a great tip.

    ReplyDelete